Monday, November 5, 2007

Our Birth Story . . .








Elliott Letitia Noble is here and what an adventure it has been!




I went into labor on Friday evening at about 8pm. My mum had just arrived the day before so we all went out to dinner and were watching a jazz duo when I started to time contractions. I was so excited to be so close to meeting her.


Labor progressed all night and Drew was amazing. He was right there for every contraction, keeping eye contact with me and rubbing my back.


We had taken "Confident Birthing" classes (http://www.birthandbodywork.com/) and we felt so prepared and informed about what to expect in labor. It made such a difference!!!


Labor started to get really tough around 8am on Saturday morning so I called our doula, Jennifer. A doula is a labor support person who is educated on how to help women in labor.


Jennifer arrived at our house at about 9:30am just as I was getting out of the tub. Wow, labor was really intense and I started to feel a lot of pressure. So we all headed to the hospital. The car ride was really difficult, I just couldn't wait to get into the big jacuzzi tub at the hospital. We arrived at the hospital at 10am and was about 4-5 cm's dilated.


I was able to be in the tub for about 2 hours. Drew, Mum and Jennifer all leaned over the tub to rub my back and keep cool clothes on my forehead.


Everytime I started to feel out of control or say "I can't do this," Jennifer would say "You ARE doing this" and help my get my focus back. She was amazing!


I labored back in the room for a few more hours. This part was the hardest. I was close to complete dilation and the pressure was intense. At about 2:45pm it was time to push.


She was born at 3:12pm.


Labor was absolutly the hardest thing I have ever done in my life but I am SO glad I was able to have a natural childbirth. What an amazing moment to have her handed to me immediatly after birth and to know that I DID IT!!


I honestly think being committed to wanting a natural birth, being well prepared and having such a fabulous support team is what got me through.

She breastfed right after birth and has been nursing ever since. We are watching her jaundice level because it was slightly elevated before we left the hospital.

We are so in love. She is just so beautiful and sweet. We swear is already smiling at us.
Now the plan is to try to figure out how to get some sleep.

Thank you so much for all your well wishes. We will try to post some new photos on the blog everyday.






4 comments:

Metapath said...

Congratulations you two!

Laura and I are so pleased you are posting text and pictures here. We can't be there for two more weeks and this blog helps us feel in contact with you all. Thanks!

-Grandma and Grandpa Noble :-)

Mike and Leah Holden said...

Love this!!! I am going to check it every day to see pictures of your cute little family! Congratulations you guys...now I want a little baby!!!

Love,
Leah

Anonymous said...

congratulations donnianne, drew, and ellie! she is so beautiful and I'm so proud and excited for you for going natural! isn't it the most empowering feeling ever!? yeeaahh for you and your family,
love from georgia,
vicki hayes

Olivia said...

Donnianne and Drew,

Congrats! I am so excited to see you when you visit with Ellie and hold her, she's beautiful! Wow and you went natural, you are AMAZING!

~Olivia~