Thursday, August 28, 2008

Inspiration

Tonight was a historic night in our country and in the Noble home.
I have always loved politics and government. Maybe it's because when I was growing up, family dinners would consist of political debates. My dad would play the role of the devils advocate and we would hash out our beliefs, political issues and current events.
Unfortunately, I have felt that my generation has missed out on the excitement and passion that past generations felt about politics. We haven't had many moments to truly be inspired.
UNTIL TONIGHT!
How beautiful that the first moment that I felt so moved and inspired by a political candidate was exactly 45 years after Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech.
Finally, a candidate willing to rise above partisan political tactics. Finally, a candidate my generation can be inspired by. Finally, a president that will unite our country!
Obama's speech was not only inspirational but it spoke to the role I believe our government should play.
My favorite part was when he spoke about how Democrats and Republicans may disagree on the issue of abortion but we should be able to agree on the need to decrease the amount the unwanted pregnancies in this country . . . we may disagree on gay marriage but we should be able to agree on the fact that gay and lesbian couples should be able to visit their partners in the hospital.
Our government policies should reflect the rights of its citizen not the moral values of its politicians.
One day, I hope Ellie will ask "Where was I when the first black man was nominated president?"
I will say you were 10 months old, watching his speech on TV with your mommy and daddy.
Finally, a night in politics I will remember for the rest of my life!

2 comments:

Mike and Leah Holden said...

It was historic! Loved his speech...such a great speaker!

Laura said...

Yes, let's always tell Ellie about her very first Presidential Election year!
gramma Laura