Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Dear Ellie,

Did you know that in this country, just a generation ago, black children were not allowed to go to school with white children? Did you know black people were not allowed to drink from the same drinking fountains as white people or sit at the same table in restaurants? I am so glad that you were born into a world where obvious examples of racism, like these, no longer exist. Yet, racism is still present. There is a glass ceiling for minorities that we may not see but is felt by many everyday. But Ellie, today, as you played innocently on the living room floor a historic moment was taking place.
Today, Barack Obama became the first black president of the United States.
Not only is this moment historically significant to our country and to the world but I believe it will actually directly effect your life. As you grow up you will have every opportunity to become whatever you want to become.
But I believe you can not be truly free unless your neighbors are also free.

Every time one of these glass ceilings is shattered, like it was today, I believe we all become a little more free

This is how I believe this historic moment will resonate in your life . . . and in mine.

Love, Mommy

1 comment:

Laura said...

Dear Ellie;

Your grampa and I promise to encourage and support you in your life's journey, and we will enjoy watching you grow
all our love, forever,
gramma