Wednesday, May 6, 2009

A day in the life . . .

Once and awhile when I read my previous posts I am annoyed that it seems like I only blog about the good things.
All the cute things Ellie does . . . milestones . . . fun family adventures.
But what about the every day routines . . . what about the not-so-pleasant moments in my life with a toddler.
Well, here is a post about just that!!!
Yesterday, was what I call a "countdown" day. A day when I countdown every hour . . . every minute . . . until Drew gets home!!!
7:00am - Ellie wakes up earlier than normal and is very cranky
8:00am - Meals used to mean guaranteed happy time but lately Ellie gets VERY upset when I attempt to wash her hands and face - so breakfast ends in a tantrum (#1 on the tantrum count)
9:00am - Ellie toddles out of her bedroom with a bottle . . . wait a minute . . . I haven't given her a bottle yet this morning. Upon further inspection I realize she must have found it under her bed from long ago because the milk is curdled and rotten!!! Ahhh!
9:05am - Worrying Ellie has ingested some seriously sour milk!
9:10am - Recovering from the experience of having to clean out that very disgusting bottle!
11:30am - Arrive at preschool. Very happy that Ellie is distracted and playing
12:45pm - Normally the time when we go outside to play in the preschool playground but due to the winter storm, we are currently having in May, we had to stay inside
12:46pm - Ellie very upset we can't go outside (#2 on the tantrum count)
12:50pm - Have to leave preschool with Ellie kicking and screaming under my arm because playing inside was NOT a suitable substitute for the slide
12:51-1:15pm - Ellie screamed the entire way home in the car (#3 on the tantrum count). She hasn't done that in months!
1:16pm - Finally, Ellie fell asleep in the car! I was hoping for a good 2 hour nap to rejuvenate us both. Unfortunately, she woke up after only 30 minutes
3:00pm - After a late lunch and some relatively calm play time, we went to run some errands. As I was putting Ellie in her car seat she somehow managed to get hold of my keys. As I closed the door I heard her click the lock
3:01pm - Ellie is locked IN the car WITH the keys!!!
3:02pm - Don't panic! What can I do? I searched around the house for a spare key (hoping to get my spare car keys from inside the house) but to no avail. Next, I tried sign language to get Ellie to press the unlock button
3:02pm - She did it! The doors unlocked and I jumped in
3:03pm - Breathe a sigh of relief
4:00pm - In the line at the grocery store, Ellie got quite upset when I wouldn't let HER input my debit pin number (#4 on the tantrum count)
5:00pm - THANK GOODNESS, Drew should call anytime to tell me he's on his way home
5:10pm - Drew calls . . . he has a flat tire!! . . . will be home late
5:11pm - Deciding whether to laugh or cry!
6:30pm - Drew finally home!
8:00pm - Ellie finally in bed!!
Whew! What a day. 4 major tantrums and lots of frustration.
Good thing "countdown" days don't happen very often!

3 comments:

Laura said...

mama said there would be days like this......
fortunately, they too must pass
love,
L

KCA said...

I feel ya sista! I have this fear that Ali will do the same with my keys. Thank God Ellie unlocked the door!

Ali threw about 3 fits in the 2 hours I was home from work this evening and pooped in the bath. Isn't motherhood just warm and fuzzy every minute? Nothing like picking poop out bath water to make me need a big ol' glass of wine and a kid's naptime.

moma said...

I have a similar story with Jules looked in the car with the keys. He was smart and it saved us from taking a brick to the car window. So look at the bright side.....she saved you $400. That clever monkey!