I've been thinking a lot about time lately. Probably because the passage of time is so apparent when I can practically see Jude growing by the minute.
My feelings towards time are a dichotomy. Part of me wishes these moments would last forever - I love newborns (their sweet smell, how they will lay on your chest contentedly for hours (HOURS!) and how a quick nip at the breast will usually solve any problem) but on the other hand I crave the days when it's just me and Drew in our king size bed.
I hate to wish away the days away - it seems to be an unspoken rule of motherhood that you are supposed to cherish every moment - but these days are hard! Every ADL (that's nurse speak for activities of daily living, i.e. teeth brushing, dressing, eating, etc, etc, etc) takes my complete involvement. It's exhausting! I get up, get dressed, get Ellie dressed then get Jude dressed. I get Ellie breakfast, nurse Jude then eat my own breakfast. I go pee, help Ellie go pee, then change Jude's diaper. Whew! I'm tired and it's only 7:30am
There's rumor that one day kids learn to do these things on their own. I mean, really! One day Ellie will get herself dressed and maybe even put her pajamas in the laundry basket? One day we won't spend 1/3 of our income on diapers? That sounds like a true utopia to me!
I've heard it explained that as children grow up their crises get are fewer but more serious in nature. Sure, the teenage years are no picnic but at least those crises don't arise 47 times per day (as is our current average).
Jude is certainly our last baby so my focus right now is on trying to find a balance:
Enjoy the last few months of baby-dom while wishing they'd both grow up just enough to learn how to wipe their own ass!
Now THAT'S the truth!
2 comments:
Yep - that's the truth alright, and every at-home parent on earth will probably agree with you. It IS tough right now.
hang in there - all the grandparents are cheering you on!
love,
grammie
you are doing an awesome job! i'm cheering for you too. but i also hear you - i'm actually quite ready for my "next phase" (ie an "outside baby"). so as much as you try to be present and you do enjoy those times knowing they won't last forever - sometimes, you're just ready for the next phase. plain and simple. love to you all!
Post a Comment