Saturday was Drew's birthday and I surprised him with a trip to Friday Harbor on San Juan Island. We dropped Ellie off at Ma-Pops and Ba-Pops early Saturday morning and headed to the island. We spent the day exploring, wine tasting and visiting the resident camel (yes, I said camel) named Mona. Drew was especially drawn to a little town on the island called Roche Harbor. It's an old lime mining town owned by the McMillin family. They were so rich they built a mausoleum to preserve their families ashes. I can't believe Drew actually got me to walk a half mile through the woods, through a graveyard, to see it! It was pretty creepy.
After missing a ferry on Sunday morning, we didn't arrive home to pick up Ellie until nearly 6pm. But since she had such a good time without us all weekend, we decided next time we take a mini-break, we'll stay for 2 nights!

No comments:
Post a Comment