Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The good, the bad

and the HORRIBLE!!
I certainly don't want this blog to become a parade of sappy, sugary posts about how perfect our life is! Life with a toddler and a newborn is tough!
So this post is dedicated to detailing a few of those REAL moments, even the awful ones.
Life with the baby:
The good: He smiled last night! Drew and Ellie were playing peek-a-boo with him and he really and truly smiled! Hopefully, we'll catch it on camera soon. The bad: Mr. Man is not the fabulous sleeper I was hoping for. Since Ellie was the worst sleeper possible I really thought we would get a near comatose kid this time around. Not so. Jude usually wakes every 1-3 hours with the 3 hour stretch only coming once a night if we're lucky. The horrible: Little baby Jude has decided to show us his version of the evening grizzlies. Just about the time we sit down for dinner, Jude starts to fuss and wiggle and cry. This makes for a a very stressful evening with Drew or I standing and bouncing the fussy kid while we shove a bit of food in our mouth.

Our friend Chris, getting his dose of the evening grizzlies.
Life with the toddler:
The good: She loves loves loves dress up! Her dress up box was a Christmas gift and she's made good use of it so far! I love seeing what princess creation she will appear in!

The bad: Bedtime seems to have gone from smooth sailing to very rough waters. She comes out of her room a half million times with requests that range from reasonable to ridiculous. Commando parenting has begun on this front so hopefully progress will be reported soon! The horrible: Ahhh, three-berty. Yep, that's right - puberty hits about a decade early. This girl has an attitude rarely seen outside the teen years. She's currently spending a good portion of her days at the end of the hall in the naughty spot. Hopefully, this will mean she will be a strong and passionate woman, right???

Life with the Nobles: The good: Drew changed his schedule to working 5 days a week instead of 4. That means he's home in the early afternoon instead of the late evening. So far, we love it! Ellie and dad get some playtime before the sun sets and Drew gets to hang out with Jude before the grizzlies set in! The bad: Drew and I have come to discuss the finer details of sleep deprivation. One is no longer just "tired" the more important questions are . . . Are we a bit dazed and dozy or incredibly, ridiculously exhausted? The horrible: Saturday night, we had the not-so brilliant idea to go out for dinner. So we packed up the kids and went to a boring Mexican restaurant. The goal was a hot meal and a change of scenery. Unfortunately, Ellie had to go pee twice right when the food came, leaving the once sizzling fajitas lukewarm when we returned from the bathroom (where she wouldn't actually go pee because she was nervous about the small stalls). Jude woke up about about 2 bites into the meal and Drew had to stand and rock and bounce him. So much for a change of scenery - we see this scene every evening at home!

So that's it. Current life with a 5 week old, a 3 year old and 2 exhausted parents. Some moments are very sweet, some are hilarious and some just plain suck!

3 comments:

KCA said...

All I can say, we are living parallel lives. And thank you for validating my last blog rant.

Today was okay, actually a big improvement, THANK GOD!

Shaneen said...

sounds like a handful! mindy said it was super fun to see you at the restaurant and that jude was really cute. jealous!!!

Cheap Wife said...

Oh goodness! I like your honesty. Sometimes blogs get a little to "perfect" and nothing in life is always that great.
What you said about Ellie made me laugh. My niece was 4 and she would storm into her bedroom and yell as she slammed the door "I HATE my life!!" I would think "is she 4 or 14?!!" It gets younger and younger...I wonder if I have a girl someday if she will be born rolling her eyes at me :-)

Hang in there. Just remember that you have lots of family and friends you can lean on :-)