Thursday, September 27, 2012

Just a little busy

I seem to be very tired lately.
And as I was talking to Drew the other day I began listing all the things I am involved in and it hit me . . . no wonder I'm tired!!!
Here are the things that fill my plate . . .
 
1)  Kids.  No brainer right, but an almost 5 year old and an nearly 2 year old don't even have a drop of self-sufficiency.  Even a shower involves me screaming from the bathroom to "BEEE gentle" and "No hitting" and "Please use inside voices!!!!"
 
2)  Preschool.  I love love co-op preschool but it is a huge commitment.  2 days a week are devoted to my stay day at school, then 2 more days of pick up and drop off.
 
3)  Work.  I have the best job in the world and look forward to the break and change of pace every time I go but sometimes it's difficult to switch gears so completely.
 
4)  Housework.  Drew works 40 hours a week and I usually work about 7 so I do not begrudge the fact that most of the housework falls to me.  Plus, Drew is completely in charge of the yard and always chips in!  But sometimes the sheer volume of laundry, house cleaning, cooking, grocery shopping. etc makes me feel like taking a nap!!
 
5)  Co-op Board Chair.  I love volunteering at the co-op and board is a great group of ladies.  However, most every day I have 20-40 emails that need my attention just from the preschool alone.  There are issues, big and small, to be addressed constantly.
 
6)  Modules.  I also work for a company that produces online lactation education modules.  I work on these during my "free time".  It's a huge commitment but the work is fun (when I actually get time to do it) and it's an amazing career opportunity.
 
7)  Lecturing.  One of my favorite things about my job is teaching.  Every 3 months, I get to teach pre-natal breastfeeding classes for Penny Simkin (the most amazing birth doula in the world).  Twice per year I teach the nurses at Evergreen how to teach families about latch, positioning, sore nipples, engorgement and more.  And in November I am teaching, for the first time, with the most well-known lactation educator.
 
8)  Volunteering.  My newest endeavor is volunteer work with Roots of Empathy.  (www.rootsofempathy.org)  This program is so inspiring and I feel completely exhilarated after the training last week!
 I will be teaching first graders how to recognize temperament traits and emotions in themselves and others by observing our guest teacher - a 4-12 month old baby.  I am also going to work get the program at the school that Ellie and Jude will attend!
 
9)  Friends and hobbies.  There is very little time for crafting and scrapbooking but hopefully I will get to do those things again someday.  Luckily, we have lots of friends with kids so we see each other regularly.  And thank goodness for 2nd Tuesday girls night with my nurse friends!
 
10)  Drewby.  Guess I should mention my husband too!!  We do a pretty good job making time for each other with our ritual of 'happy hour'.  A glass of wine and 10 minutes of conversation can do wonders!!
 
 11)  Music.  I literally have not picked up my guitar since Jude was born but have found some time to sing.  A friend is hosting a John Prine Tribute night a bar in Seattle next month.  Drew, TJ, my dad and I will perform 3 songs.  John Prine in our family soundtrack so this is going to be awesome!

 
 Luckily, all my committment are things that I love to do but some days I still feel like I am just keeping my head above water.
I just keep reminding myself everything will be easier when the kids are both in elementary school, right . . . . . RIGHT??!!

3 comments:

KCA said...

I totally concur with this feeling! Ali's class starts Roots next week, so I'm excited to hear about her experience and yours!

nesting journal said...

your a busy lady. no wonder you had to outsource to get your pantry cleaned... i love that you are volunteering- very cool.

Matthew and Lisa said...

You're amazing! And I'm working on getting Roots of Empathy in my school!!!!! Isn't it fabulous?