I have been really wanting to write a post 'wrapping up' Ellie's first year. But for some reason, I don't know what to say . . . should I write about how Ellie has changed our lives? . . . nay, too obvious . . . should I write about how Ellie makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside because she made me a mother? . . . nay, too sappy . . . should I write about how one year of sleepless nights makes me worry Ellie may be an only child? . . . nay, too dramatic ;)
So how about I just make a list . . . I like lists.
Ellie's first year memory list:
Most vivid memory of labor: I remember being in the tub when labor was really intense and thinking it is amazing that the human race is still going because this was the worst pain imaginable.
Most vivid memory of birth: Pulling her squishy, slimy body against my chest the moment she was born and feeling awe struck and overwhelmed as she latched on and started nursing immediately! Drew's reaction was the best though, he cried and said "Donnianne, your breastfeeding our daughter!"
The early days: We were so lucky to have my mum come out to Boise to stay with us for the first week. The taste of squash still reminds me of those days because it was fall and she made us delicious meals every night, including, roasted squash with butter and brown sugar.
Surprising stat: Ellie travelled to 3 states and 2 countries in her first 3 months of life . . . Idaho, Washington, California, US and Canada!
Big shock #1: For me, newborn-hood was the best part! I have heard from most people that the first 6 weeks is the toughest part of parenthood. But for Drew and I, Ellie's newborn stage was one big long baby-moon.
Funniest memory: Ellie went through a growling phase when she was about 5 months old. That gave us lots of laughs! She still pulls out that trick once and awhile!
Health and occupations: She has been such a healthy kid! She's barely even had a diaper rash, doesn't have allergies and has only been sick once with Roseola. I think it's quite possible she will be a food connoisseur when we grows up. She's never turned her nose up at anything and the more flavor the better.
Thank goodness for . . . : The grandparents. I don't know how we would have survived this first year without them!
Glimpses: It's so interesting to begin to get glimpses at Ellie's personality traits and there is one that seems to stand out the most . . . She's fearless! She isn't phased by loud noises like the vacuum, she loves big dogs, her favorite game is to get startled by her dad and when she falls or bangs her head she rarely cries!
Toughest and roughest: The lack of sleep for the first 11 months was definitely hard. It's so amazing to put her down at 8:30pm and know we get a break for the next 10 hours!
Big shock #2: I know all lot of my readers are going to be saying a big "duh" when they read this but I am still shocked by how much Ellie has changed our lives. I think it's impossible to be able to imagine yourself as a parent or how a child will change your relationship until it happens. It's just so immense. Sometimes I mourn for our old life. I miss being able to be spontaneous.
The best part: Even with the sleepless nights and new lifestyle our life is richer and more wonderful because of Ellie. We love her!
1 comment:
I love that picture of you guys! I just told Kialaia I was there when tha picture was taken... may have even taken it, I can't remember. Anyway, she thought that was cool. Oh, and she loves the picture of baby Ellie's toes - I do too! I'm glad you made a list because those memories fade as time goes on, wether you want them to or not. Trust me - Bradley is 9!
Post a Comment