Yes, this will be my 3rd job in as many years but I finally found what I think will be rewarding work in my chosen field. This Week I start with the City of Seattle (Seattle Public Utilities) as a SCADA Communications Technician! Donnianne is having some trouble explaining what my new job is so I thought I would do a quick write up.
Just about any manufacturing process includes an array of field instruments that tells the operator what is happening within that process. These instruments (inputs) could be pressure transmitters, flow meters and switches. A PLC (programmable logic controller) takes these inputs, and based on parameters programmed by the user, sends signals to start or stop motors, pumps or alarms (outputs). The SCADA (supervisory, control and data acquisition) system is the network of field instruments, remote terminal units, routers and human machine interfaces. All of the water and sewer data is transmitted to control houses for operators to monitor.
I will be maintaining and troubleshooting various components of Seattle's SCADA system which monitors and controls the distribution of clean water to roughly 1.3 million customers. This includes the Cedar and Tolt river watersheds, in city reservoirs, water towers and water and sewer mains.
Wish me luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment